What is BYTE?
BYTE is a â€˜by youth, for youthâ€™ organization that focuses on empowering and promoting youth throughout the Yukon and Canadaâ€™s north. Â Our facilitation team travels to communities throughout the Yukon and to some areas of Northern BC and NWT to deliver innovative and relevant workshopsÂ to northern youth. We also host events and conferencesÂ in Whitehorse that foster creativityÂ and culture.Â Everything we do is about helping youth to develop confidence, skills, openness, and a sense of belonging.
Our Mission: BYTE creates spaces for Northern youth to lead. We do this through facilitating interactive workshops and opportunities for youth.
Our Vision:Â Northern youth have developed their strengths and skills to lead happy, healthy, and meaningful lives. Youth are heard and respected in their communities and are creating positive change.
1. BYTE is for youth, by youth.Â
2. We are northern and focus on the Yukon and the North.
3. We meet youth where they are at without judgement.
4. We recognize Northern youth have unique skills and strengths.
5. We strive to be relevant to youth. We are innovative and believe in constant learning and adaptation.
6.Â Â We believe in championing youth voices.
7. We believe in inclusivity. Equity, equality and social justice are important to us.
8. We believe in the importance of healthy relationships, including relationships with ourselves, Northern youth, communities and each other.
9. We believe in the ongoing recognition of Indigenous rights, lands, knowledge, perspectives and experiences.
10.Â We strive forÂ transparency.
11. We practice financial andÂ environmental sustainability.
BYTE – Empowering Youth respectfully acknowledges that we are situated on the traditional territory of the KwanlinÂ DÃ¼n First Nation and theÂ Taâ€™an KwÃ¤châ€™Ã¤n Council and we will acknowledge the Traditional Territories when we travel to northern regions.Â
Our office here in Whitehorse is our headquarters for planning and implementing our programming. We also use our space for:
- Book lending library
- Resource services
- Youth meeting space
- Weekly NA/AA Â meetings