We’re hiring a Youth Program Assistant and Facilitator!
This is a 6 month contract with opportunity for extension!
This is an exciting and diverse role that allows for lots of creativity and learning! The Youth Program Assistant and Facilitator will work with BYTE – Empowering Youth Society and TakingITGlobal to promote and implement youth programming in Yukon.
The core function of the Youth Program Assistant is to co-design and co-facilitate BYTE’s experiential workshops, to plan and implement youth events and to both promote and support youth applicants for the Canada Service Corps, #RisingYouth Community service grants in the Whitehorse and Yukon region.
Working alongside our Community Outreach Coordinators and Manager, the Youth Program Assistant will be the lead on a number of special projects and events such as the Canada Day Skate Comp and the BYTE Battle of the Bands.
This is an excellent, entry level position for anyone looking to gain experience working with Northern youth!
Please note: While we welcome all applications, given the context in which BYTE works, preference will be given to applicants from Northern communities and/or Indigenous youth.
- Work with Community Outreach Coordinators and Manager to tailor and design workshops to meet the needs of a specific community
- Work with other BYTE staff to co-facilitating workshops in Whitehorse and other areas of the Yukon, NWT and Northern BC as required
- Facilitate #RisingYouth grant ideation sessions with youth during community workshop visits and provide application support.
- Assist with evaluation projects in each community such as helping youth complete evaluation forms, recording feedback and taking photos on community tours
- Perform post-tour duties with Community Outreach Coordinators such as writing final reports, inputting data from evaluation forms, etc.
- Work with BYTE team to develop new programming and keep current programming up to date and relevant
- Plan and coordinate BYTE’s annual events (Youth Week activities, Canada Day Skate Comp and the Battle of the Bands) with support from the BYTE team
- Promote both BYTE & #RisingYouth events by creating posters, Facebook events, presenting to youth, etc.
- Coordinate logistics for BYTE & #RisingYouth events as needed, such as venue, event setup and tear down, food service, equipment rentals, etc.
- Attend events to monitor and ensure smooth execution of logistics
- Recruit in-kind and financial sponsorship for BYTE events
- Plan and execute new events for BYTE and Yukon youth with the support of the BYTE team
- Reporting: Write event reports and recommendations and report on team activities and progress.
- Create presentations and booths for other events such as Volunteer Fairs, Townhalls, etc.
- Produce stories for BYTE and #RisingYouth’s website and blog capturing highlights of community activities, youth projects and stories.
- Assist in managing BYTE’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Assist in the creation of multimedia content for BYTE
Ongoing Office Duties
- Help and attend any other BYTE events or meetings
- Contribute to daily office operations such as answering the phone, faxing, photocopying, responding to public inquiries etc.
- Maintain office equipment
- Ensure a clean work environment – participate in the rotation of chores, water plants, take out garbage, organize work space as needed
Education and Experience
- Completion of secondary school
- Relevant post-secondary school qualifications will be considered an asset
- Valid Driver’s License
- Standard First Aid & CPR an asset;
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced office;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends;
- Familiarity of BYTE and its work in Northern regions
- Familiarity of Yukon’s First Nations and Northern Indigenous peoples
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong interest in building rapport with youth, youth issues and youth empowerment
- Willingness to learn and ability to follow direction
- Organized, detail oriented and ability to time manage
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to interact tactfully, respectfully and non-judgmentally with everyone (colleagues, youth, general public)
Job details: This is a 6 month contract position with opportunity for extension. The successful applicant will receive $20/hour and work a 35 hours work week.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Shelby Maunder at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 8 2019.
Join BYTE’s Facilitation Team Do you have a passion for youth issues and want to help young people throughout Canada’s north? Are you between 18 and 30? Are you interested in going on exciting tours throughout the Yukon, northern BC and NWT? Then BYTEs facilitation team might just be for you! If this sounds like you, click here for more info.