We’re hiring a Leaders in Training Conference Coordinator!
This is an exciting and diverse role that allows for a lot of creativity and fun! The Leaders in Training Conference Coordinator is responsible for organizing and implementing BYTE’S Annual Leaders in Training Conference.
The core function of the Coordinator is to organize BYTE’s experiential conference. This includes working with the BYTE team, planning travel, logistics, applying for funding, maintaining budgets, developing workshop content and offering support to community contacts.
The Leaders in Training Conference Coordinator also has the opportunity to work as a member of the On-Call Facilitation Team during and beyond their LiT contract.
Please note: While we welcome all applications, given the context in which BYTE works, preference will be given to applicants from Northern communities and/or Indigenous youth.
Project Coordination and Community Outreach
- Liaise and build strong relationships with community contacts including teachers, recreation directors, youth workers and youth champions to recruit two youth from each community to attend LiT
- Work with the Community Outreach Manager and the BYTE team to design workshops and programming for the three-day conference
- Book logistics for youth, chaperones and guests including travel and accommodation for participants
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate programming at LiT, lead post-workshop reflections and gain feedback from youth and the community
- Perform post-confrence duties including writing final reports, evaluation data input and analysis, closing invoices and submitting LiT budget and expenses
- Ensure conference follows BYTE’s Green Event Policy; arranging recyling and composting as well as biodegradable supplies for meals
- Produce stories about LiT for the BYTE website and blog
- Create posters and online Facebook events to recruit youth and increase interest in the Leaders in Training Conference
- Assist in managing social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Office Duties & Responsibilities
- Help with and/or attend any other BYTE events or meetings
- Contribute to daily office operations such as answering the phone, faxing, photocopying, responding to public inquiries, etc.
- Ensure a clean work environment – participate in the rotation of chores, water plants, take out garbage, organize workspace as needed
- Contribute to a positive, collaborative, and fun office culture!
Education and Experience:
- 1+ year experience facilitating accessible and engaging experiential workshops
- 1+ years experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Check
- Familiarity of BYTE and its work in Northern regions
- Familiarity of Yukon’s First Nations and Northern Indigenous peoples
- Valid Driver’s License
- Standard First Aid & CPR an asset
- Mental Health First Aid and ASIST is an asset
Skills & Attributes
- Organized, detail-oriented, and efficient worker with ability to time manage and prioritize work requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Internet applications
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced setting
- Self-starter, takes initiative and can work with minimal supervision
- Strong networking skills
- Willingness to learn and ability to follow direction and structure
- Ability to interact tactfully, respectfully, and nonjudgmentally with everyone (colleagues, youth, general public)
- Strong interest in building rapport with youth, youth issues, and youth empowerment
- Strong collaborative leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of anti-oppressive practice and social justice principles
Additional Details Direction/Decision Making: The Leaders in Training Conference Coordinator reports directly to the Community Outreach Managerr, who is responsible for ensuring the quality of the Leaders in Training Conference. The Coordinator may also report to the Executive Director, who is responsible for establishing generals goals, objectives and expectations for the position and managing performance through regular check-ins and evaluations. The employee is expected to meet the responsibilities of the position by following established practices and procedures, and is expected to consult with the appropriate personnel when instructions or information provided is unclear. The employee is expected to establish priorities and schedules to ensure work commitment are met.
Impact and Accountability: The Leaders in Training Conference Coordinator represents BYTE – Empowering Youth Society in communities and the general public. The LiT Conference Coordinator is expected to be mindful of the ways in which their behaviour can impact communities and relationships. Poor communication skills or delays in responding to inquiries can impact the reputation of BYTE with the public. Additionally, the LiT Coordinator is a role-model for staff and on-call facilitators. The LiT Coordinator is expected to model appropriate behaviour and the BYTE Code of Conduct when visiting communities and at all BYTE events.
Working Conditions: This position is located in a open office environment in Whitehorse. The Conference will take place outside of Dawson City in March 2019. Due to the nature of the role, the Coordinator should expect to work on some weekends and overtime hours with a positive and willing attitude. The position may experience stress or fatigue as a result of the demands.
Conditions of Employment: Mandatory confidentiality and completion of Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check is a condition of employment for all personnel. Failure to meet this requirement could result in dismissal.
Employment Details This is a contract position for 500 hours and $22/hour.
Please send your cover letter and resume to our Community Outreach Manager firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
Join BYTE’s Facilitation Team Do you have a passion for youth issues and want to help young people throughout Canada’s north? Are you between 18 and 30? Are you interested in going on exciting tours throughout the Yukon, northern BC and NWT? Then BYTEs facilitation team might just be for you! If this sounds like you, click here for more info.