Thank you for your interest in BYTE – Empowering Youth Society and potential job opportunities with us. Below, you will find open opportunities at BYTE. You can also check out our Youth Job Board for a curated list of jobs for youth in the Yukon. We wish you all the best in your job search!
Community Outreach Coordinator
BYTE – Empowering Youth Society
Community Outreach Coordinator
70 hours bi-weekly
This is an exciting and diverse role that allows for a lot of creativity and fun. BYTE’s
Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible for co-designing and implementing programming in and outside of Whitehorse.
The core function of this person is to organize and lead BYTE’s experiential
workshops and other programming in rural Yukon, Northwest Territories and some areas of Northern BC. This includes planning travel logistics, applying for funding, maintaining project/tour budgets, developing and adapting workshop content, and offering support through consistent communication with to community contacts.
The Community Outreach Coordinator also has the opportunity to work on a number of other special projects throughout the year, such as our Leaders-in-Training Conference, and events such as Battle of the Bands, Skateboarding Competition etc.
Please note: While we welcome all applications, given the context in which BYTE works, preference will be given to applicants from Northern communities and/or Indigenous youth.
- Liaise and build strong relationships with rural community contacts including schools, recreation directors, youth workers and First Nation governments
- Inform community contacts on workshop offerings
- Work with the Community Outreach Manager to tailor and/or design workshops from BYTE’s suite of offerings to meet the needs of a specific community
- Prepare quotes and invoices for communities, help communities find funding sources when possible and/or necessary
- Book community tours, including travel, logistics and facilitators
- Travel to communities to facilitate BYTE’s experiential workshops, lead post-workshop reflections, and gain feedback from youth and the community
- Take and post photos from Community Tours regularly
- Perform post-tour duties including writing final reports, evaluation date input and analysis, closing invoices and submitting tour budgets and expenses
- Work with the Community Outreach Manager to develop new programming and keep current programming up to date and relevant
- Create and distribute BYTE promotional materials (posters, brochures, etc.)
- Produce stories for BYTE website and blog
- Assist in managing social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Assist in the creation of multimedia content for BYTE
Office duties and responsibilities
- Help with and/or attend BYTE events or meetings
- Contribute to daily office operations such as answering the phone, photocopying, faxing and responding to public inquiries, etc.
- Ensure a clean work environment – participate in the rotation of chores, water plants, take out garbage, organize workspace as needed
Education and Experience:
- 2+ years experience in facilitating accessible and engaging experiential workshops
- Experience in project management (budgets, accountability, community relationships, etc.) an asset
- Valid Driver’s License
- Standard First Aid & CPR
- Mental Health First Aid and ASIST an asset
- Familiarity of BYTE and its work in the Northern regions
- Familiarity of Yukon’s First Nations and Northern Indigenous peoples
- Successful completion of post-secondary schooling in a related field will be considered an asset
Skills and Attributes:
- Organized, detail-oriented and efficient worker with ability to time manage and prioritize work requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Internet applications
Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced setting
- Self-starter, takes initiative and can work with minimal supervision
- Strong networking skills
- Willingness to learn and ability to follow direction and structure
- Ability to interact tactfully, respectfully and non-judgementally with everyone (colleagues, youth, general public)
- Strong interest in building rapport with youth, youth issues and youth empowerment
- Willingness to learn anti-oppressive practice and social justice principles
What BYTE offers
At BYTE we have spectacular opportunities that inspire creativity and excitement in the workplace. Our team environment is healthy and supportive, and the work keeps you fulfilled and motivated. In addition, we offer the following pay and benefits:
- Pay of $24.15/hour based on 70 hours bi-weekly
- Annual paid vacation of 4 weeks (pro-rated)
- Sick leave of 15 days per year (pro-rated)
- Modest benefit package (health & dental) after 3 months of employment
- Professional development opportunities
- A fun work environment that prioritizes mental health and work/life balance
The Community Outreach Coordinator reports directly to the Program Director, who is responsible for ensuring the quality of the Community Outreach Program. The Coordinator may also report to the Executive Director, who is responsible for establishing general goals, objectives and expectations for the position and managing performance through regular check-ins and evaluations. The employee is expected to meet the responsibilities of the position by following established practices and procedures, and is expected to consult with the appropriate personnel when instructions or information provided is unclear. The employee is expected to establish priorities and schedules to ensure work commitments are met.
Impact and Accountability
The Community Outreach Coordinator represents BYTE-Empowering Youth Society in the general public. The Community Outreach Coordinator is expected to be mindful of the ways in which their behaviour can impact communities and relationships. Poor communication skills or delays in responding to inquiries can impact the reputation of BYTE with the public.
Additionally, the Community Outreach Coordinator is a role-model for youth in the communities. The Community Outreach Coordinator is expected to model appropriate behaviour and the BYTE Code of Conduct when visiting communities at all BYTE events.
This position is located in a standard office environment, as well as in many community venues around Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories and areas of Northern British Columbia. Due to the nature of the role, the position should expect to work on some weekends and overtime hours with a positive and willing attitude. The position may experience stress or fatigue as a result of demands.
This position requires regular travel between Northern communities. Travel includes driving a vehicle owned and maintained by the organization and/or a rental vehicle to communities up to 10 hours away or travelling by plane.
Conditions of Employment
Mandatory confidentiality and a Vulnerable Sector Check are conditions of employment for all personnel. Failure to meet these requirements could result in dismissal.